I developed Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS) in my late teens. I literally woke up one day and said a desperately teary goodbye to apples, cherries, plums, peaches, pears, and nectarines. My doctor prescribed me an epipen, and I've longed for this allergy to leave me nearly every day since.
Over the years, I've learned to not give these luscious fruits a second glance. Why do that to myself? But while grocery shopping yesterday, I spied a particularly enticing heap of deep red and burgundy coloured plums, just begging me to take a juicy bite. Since I seem to have grown out of some of my other allergies -- I was at one time deathly allergic to cats, and literally woke up one day a few years ago to find that was no longer the case... YAY! -- I decided that it was time to test my OAS.
And so, yesterday I ate this very plum (after photographing it). It was delicious. And I did not have a reaction!
Celebrate good times, come on!