Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Feeling's Mutual.

While I was riding the bus on my way home from work, I overheard someone say that Mutual St. is a one-way street. At first I was mildly amused, thinking it was just some clever wordplay. But then I realized that Mutual St., where it intersects with Carlton St. in downtown Toronto, is in fact one-way. Then I laughed out loud and startled the woman sitting next to me.



I love that I can just say this on here and no one will look at me funny.

Anyway, a little story about Mutual St. I used to live a little further east and north of the area depicted on this map, on Sherbourne St., just off Carlton... also lovingly referred to as "Cracktown", although when people asked me where I lived I aligned myself with quirky Cabbagetown, the next neighbourhood over. So one time I was walking home from work along Carlton, and right at the Mutual St. intersection, some guy jumped out of a car and emphatically brandished a gun at the two guys walking in front of me, screaming at them that he was going to shoot them. I have never darted out into traffic to get to the other side of the street so fast in all my life. I think I almost got hit by a streetcar.

Ah, Mutual St... Good times.

PS - There's a typo on that map! See if you can spot it...

2 comments:

  1. "downton" ?
    Not sure of Toronto...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. nailed it! I promise you there is no part of Toronto referred to as "Downton", LOL!

    ReplyDelete